Seite 1 von 4 12 ... LetzteLetzte
Ergebnis 1 bis 15 von 47

Thema: The "Image" of Werder in foreign countries

The "Image" of Werder in foreign countries

I was wondering how Werder Bremen is seen by football fans in other countries. If you don't know that much about the cities where the clubs come from i guess you have another point of view. For example Bayern Munich is seen as the fat cat of the league by german football fans, while Werder is seen as a very sympathetic club - what do other countries people think? Is the relation Bayern - Werder like Real - Barca (Real being the fat cat Bayern and Barca the rebellious Bremen)? Or is Werder seen as a nouveau riche, a bit like chelsea minus abramovich?

What do people say when you tell them you're a Werder supporter? Truly interested,

Sebastian
    "Ich hab gehört der Sportteil vom worum soll auch ganz gut sein..."

Re: The "Image" of Werder in foreign countries

Hardly "seen" in Australia. Mainly by ex-Brits who follow CL on pay TV.
    There is a small public broadcaster (SBS) that shows attractive UEFA Cup and CL games live (like 4am local time ) and once in a blue moon you can see a Werder match (like against Barca). Otherwise you can see snippets of Werder occasonally in the station's European leagues wrap-up on Sunday evening, but the emphasis is on the Premier League followed by the Italian and Spanish leagues. A few local soccer fans have heard of but would not know much about Werder. Bayern certainly have a higher recognition value among soccer fans.

How little Werder (and Schalke) rates here can be seen by the fact that only Barcelona/Messi were mentioned in the news when the CAS decision came down. I suppose that was due to the fact that Australia plays in the same group as Argentina at the Games.

BTW, Andre Gumprecht (midfielder, ex Bayer Leverkusen) plays for my local club (Central Coast Mariners) in the Australian A-League. Very popular player but just lucky to snare a year's extension to his contract which will most likely be the end of his career.

I'm in finland at the moment, and I realized that german football is hardly recognized. If I talk to people and they ask me about my favourite club, they either haven't heard about it or they have heard the name and know nothing about it, maybe that Petri Pasanen plays there.

La Gazzetta dello Sport is in disbelief: "...il pazzo Werder, capace di vincere in casa con l'Hoffenheim addirittura per 5-4."

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Estero/Pr ... liga.shtml

They will learn about that pazzo Werder very soon
    I have a feeling we will see another pazzo performance on wednesday
    "I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up"

Mark Twain zu ehren seines nahenden 100. Todestags

Straight from Lyon, France: they know us. They like us. They love to beat us.

Number two behind Bayern and everybody is like "Werder? Festival Football!"

Gast

this following bbc article has to be in here as well... if you read on through the readers wonderful comments its great to see that not only us buyist werder fans believe that football is celebrated in the weserstadion!

The most entertaining ticket in Europe?

If you were offered a free season ticket to any club in Europe, which would you pick?

Get yourself a seat at Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, the Bernabeu, Nou Camp or San Siro and you'll definitely see some of the best players in world football.

But if you value goals above all else there is barely a stadium on the continent that can trump Werder Bremen's Weserstadion.

If you had been there for every Bundesliga match in the last five seasons you would have seen 297 goals at an average of 3.5 a game.

more...

Gazzetta dello Sport: http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Estero/Pr ... liga.shtml

PAZZO WERDER - L'8ª giornata di Bundesliga regala gol ed emozioni anche sugli altri campi. Come al solito, se cercate una partita impossibile da decifrare dovete andare a Brema. Il 3-3 col Burussia Dortmund ha il seguente sviluppo: vantaggio giallonero con un rigore di Frei al quarto d'ora della ripresa, pareggio di Baumann, di nuovo Borussia in gol con Hummels, doppietta di Pizarro al 43' e al 45', definitivo pari di Zidan nel recupero.

Pazzo, pazzo, pazzo. Seems to be Gazzetta's favorite adjective to describe Werder.

What does it mean: Pazzo?
    Drohend stehen die Faschisten
    drüben am Horizont

Gast

= crazy

Thanks, seems to be wright.
    Drohend stehen die Faschisten
    drüben am Horizont

Zitat Zitat von Blut-an-den Stollen
    What does it mean: Pazzo?
    Pazzo = verrückt, durchgeknallt, wahnsinnig, geisteskrank etc.

Seems to be spot on.

Yorieboy is too lazy to post it here

http://www.worum.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1107&start=30

The most entertaining ticket in Europe?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A41550923

Gast

I'm too lazy to read... Need more pictures! :P

The articles published by the Gazetta and the BBC say it all. Werder is quite well-known in England, and not only amongst dyed-in-the-wool football fans. Beating Chelsea helps win sympathies (unless you're ManUtd, in which case it neither helps nor hinders).