Seite 1 von 2 12 LetzteLetzte
Ergebnis 1 bis 15 von 29

Thema: Help out an American fan?

Help out an American fan?

I've been watching the Bundesliga for about two years now. I've decided it's time for me to pick a team to follow. I've been doing a lot of research and watching as many games as possible. I'vw pretty much got it down to Werder Bremen, or Hannover 96.

I'm coming to this website in hopes of just learning some more about the club. What are some cool things I should know? What made you an international fan support Werder Bremen? Whats something about the club that I might not know? Basically, i'm looking for something to break the tie between Bremen and Hannover because right now, they're both about neck-and-neck.

Sorry if these kinds of posts are annoying, I'm just hoping to find some information to help me make a good decision on who i'll support. Thanks!

Photograph courtesy of the U.S. Geological Survey
    Even though I'm not an international fan (I'm afraid we haven't got many of them here), I'll answer nevertheless.

Some people will probably tell you that you don't really get to choose your club, that the club chooses you, but I'm not sure if that is always true. For me, it's been a mixture of both. I found myself drawn to Werder's style of football, their games were fun to watch, I liked most of the players and representatives, and I could identify with the principles that Werder seemed to stand for, being kind of old-fashioned: integrity, sportsmanship, social responsibility (though some might argue that this is simply a clevery marketed image with little foundation). The club gives both its manager and its players time to develop, the representatives stay calm even if success is slow in the making (or small), and while the fans might not be the loudest in the Bundesliga, they support their team loyally in times of trouble. When Werder was in danger of being relegated last season, the supporters started to celebrate their team at every possible opportunity, sang their hearts out from the moment the players arrived at the stadium - instead of berating them or jeering at them.

Now I'm not sure if this is the kind of answer you were looking for.

May I ask you a question in return? Why Hannover 96 and Werder Bremen? It's kind of an unusual choice, given that both clubs haven't been exactly successful in the last few years, and are quite different when it comes to the way they are led.

Thanks for the reply! Your answer actually helped me out a lot. I like what you said about the fans being very supportive, and giving players and managers time to develop, and not losing their minds when things don't go right. I'm an American, but have been a fan of Tottenham Hotspur in England for around 13 years now. My biggest annoyance about being a Tottenham fan is how so many supporters go crazy at the first sign of trouble. I believe players, managers need time to develop, and fans should support them through that.

Back in the early 2000s around the time I started following Tottenham, the channel that showed soccer also carried Bundesliga games. At the time, I really enjoyed watching Werder Bremen play. I liked their playing style, and they had a player (who I can't remember for the life of me) that I loved to watch. Then that channel stopped carrying the Bundesliga and I kind of stopped following it. So, when i decided to start watching it again, Bremen were kind of the first team that jumped out at me, because I had liked watching them before.

I started to watch them play and still like their style even though they're not having great success, they are a fun team for me to watch. That's basically why they are one of the finalists.

What attracted me to Hannover is really just liking a few players. As an American I love Steve Cherundolo, I also really like Bittencourt. I think it's cool that they won the DFB Pokal while in the 2 Bundesliga. I haven't really been able to find out too much about them though besides what's on Wikipedia. I tried posting on a Hanover forum, but didn't get a reply and haven't been able to find a fan of the club to talk to.

Why did you mention about the clubs being led differently? I really like what i've heard about how Werder Bremen is run, but haven't heard anything about Hannover, how are they being led?

Zitat Zitat von tornateo Beitrag anzeigen
    That's basically why they are one of the finalists.
    You're obviously giving this a lot of thought. Appreciated. But why are you setting it up as a casting show? Are you also posting on a Hannover board to get their arguments?
    "Jedes Spiel ist eine neue Hoffnung."

I did but as of yet haven't got a response as of yet. Didn't mean it to seem like a casting show or something. I"m just trying to get as much information as I can about both teams and thought talking to fans might help me learn more about the clubs.

Thanks for your explanation.

Why did you mention about the clubs being led differently? I really like what i've heard about how Werder Bremen is run, but haven't heard anything about Hannover, how are they being led?
    The president of Hannover 96 is Martin Kind. He always wanted to change the "50+1 rule", so private investors would be able to support football teams financially - you can read more about that here and here. Most fans don't like the idea that certain clubs use a 'money cheat' instead of earning their money in the traditional way - through sporting success or the profitable selling of players.
    Kind is also quick to hire and fire managers. (And I don't quite like him.)

thought talking to fans might help me learn more about the clubs.
    That's certainly a good way.

There are a couple of enlightening threads in the international board of this site. I guess you found them.

Just stick around until we lose our home game against Mainz after the bye week. You'll learn a lot about Werder fans then.

Only a few things:

Werder is green-white, sympatic and relieable.
    Our girls are hot.
    Our beer tastes marvelous.
    We won a european cup.
    We have beaten Messi.

H_V2 has I call them, is managed by a guy producing acoustic hearing apparatus.
    Nuff said?

Zitat Zitat von K Beitrag anzeigen
    Thanks for your explanation.

The president of Hannover 96 is Martin Kind. He always wanted to change the "50+1 rule", so private investors would be able to support football teams financially - you can read more about that here and here. Most fans don't like the idea that certain clubs use a 'money cheat' instead of earning their money in the traditional way - through sporting success or the profitable selling of players.
    Kind is also quick to hire and fire managers. (And I don't quite like him.)
    Wow, that's interesting I didn't know that. The 50 + 1 rule is actually one of the things I really like about German football. Sounds like Hannover's owner is more concerned about money than football.

He's not the owner, which is kind of the point.

ap3x
    Gast
    When it comes to your question, I assume that some replies might help you out already. I would like to add that Bremens uniqueness and outstanding atmosphere is clearly shown by one single circumstance: People in charge get their time to develop something. As you might now already, our former coach Thomas Schaaf stayed for 14 (!) years. Even though his last three seasons weren't so successful at all and his best time seemed to be over. A period that long is quite uncommon for a coach in our league and obviously speaking for our club. Robin Dutt, our new coach in charge, got trust and his time as well to realize a new, individual concept, which he worked out with our manager, Thomas Eichin. Long story short, Werder Bremen limits the pressure to a healthy level, whereas many other clubs within the league do not.

Apart from your question, i would like to know what it is that attracts you to "football" - as we call it? Guessing the average American isn't so interested in it at all, as they stick to the NFL, NBA, MBL and/or NHL.

Zitat Zitat von ap3x Beitrag anzeigen
    When it comes to your question, I assume that some replies might help you out already. I would like to add that Bremens uniqueness and outstanding atmosphere is clearly shown by one single circumstance: People in charge get their time to develop something. As you might now already, our former coach Thomas Schaaf stayed for 14 (!) years. Even though his last three seasons weren't so successful at all and his best time seemed to be over. A period that long is quite uncommon for a coach in our league and obviously speaking for our club. Robin Dutt, our new coach in charge, got trust and his time as well to realize a new, individual concept, which he worked out with our manager, Thomas Eichin. Long story short, Werder Bremen limits the pressure to a healthy level, whereas many other clubs within the league do not.

Apart from your question, i would like to know what it is that attracts you to "football" - as we call it? Guessing the average American isn't so interested in it at all, as they stick to the NFL, NBA, MBL and/or NHL.

Thanks for your answer! That's one thing i've learned that I think is really cool. That Bremen give coaches and players a chance. I really like that. I've been a fan of football for 13 years or so now I think. When I was younger, I used to love watching the World Cup. That was about the only football that was regularly broadcast back then. My family then got a satelitte dish and we had a channel that showed the EPL, Bundesliga, and a few other leagues every Saturday. I always enjoyed watching the World Cup, so I figured i'd start watching. I watched the EPL mostly, and began to love the sport.

I also watched the Bundesliga on and off back then but never really had a favorite team. A few years ago, I started looking into the Bundesliga. There were some things abut the English game that bothered me so I started watching other leagues. I quickly realized I really liked watchign German teams play. Last year, I watched most of the season, but didn't have a favorite team. This year I decided I wanted to pick a team to support and started seriously looking at all the teams in the 1 and 2 Bundesliga. I decided i'd pick a team in the 1 Bundesliga though, because as an American it's just too hard to regularly follow the 2 Bundesliga.

I actually wonder how of all things you got it down to Bremen and Hannover.
    Der alte Hauptbahnhoftoilettenmann weiß genau, dass man nichts retten kann.

You better watch what you are wishing for, or you'll wish your wishes won't come true no more

I guess the only way to come to an end is to listen what your heart tells you. Football is passion and not a decision by facts. So my advise for you, take a look at this Videos by shadiego, in my opinion they show a lot of the passion, the younger tradition and the spirit of Werder.
    This is his channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/droyaN
    and also this like Clip made in 2009: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnp-VecelBQ

Zitat Zitat von untersommer Beitrag anzeigen
    I actually wonder how of all things you got it down to Bremen and Hannover.
    Maybe you should read the whole thread?